The Articles hereunder are agreed and ratified by all those National Racing Authorities or other bodies or entities which currently constitute the Full and the Associate Membership of the Asian Racing Federation, hereinafter referred to as the 'Federation', and by those which may be invited to join the Federation in the future.
ARTICLE 1 – OBJECTIVES OF THE ASIAN RACING FEDERATION
- To meet and foster goodwill and mutual understanding through the medium of periodic conferences and other racing events in the member countries.
- To promote horse racing and breeding and the integrity and prestige thereof by any means that the Federation shall consider appropriate and which are in compliance with all existing laws, rules and regulations.
- To encourage and develop mutually beneficial objectives and strategies between racing organisations without discrimination to aid the development of horseracing.
- To exchange ideas and information on matters connected with horseracing.
- To encourage, promote and support international competition for jockeys and horses when conditions permit.
ARTICLE 2 – MEMBERSHIP
- Subject to Article 2.4.2, membership shall be recommended by the Executive Council and shall be conferred at the discretion of only the General Assembly on any National Racing Authority which may make application to join the Federation.
- Except where otherwise determined by the General Assembly in exceptional cases, Full Membership may be granted only to a National Racing Authority:
- a. which, in the opinion of the ARF, has a legitimate established or developing racing industry within its country (or special administrative region); and
- b. which gives a specific assurance that it will facilitate the hosting of a future Asian Racing Conference within its country (or special administrative region), hereinafter referred to as the 'Conference.'
- Except where otherwise determined by the General Assembly in exceptional cases, Associate Membership is granted to a National Racing Authority which:
- is already a member of some similar association; OR
- is located in a country (or special administrative region) which, in the opinion of the ARF, has a newly established and developing racing industry; OR
- is unable or unwilling to facilitate the hosting of a Conference
- Full Membership or Associate Membership shall in general only be conferred on a National Racing Authority and will not normally be conferred on other national or regional racing or racing-related organisations.
- Affiliate Membership may at the discretion of the Executive Council be conferred on a racing-related organisation.
- National Racing Authorities making application for membership shall be invited to become either an Affiliate or Associate Member in the first instance and may later apply for admission to a different category of membership, provided that only an Associate Member may apply for Full Membership.
- Any Member may resign from the Federation by giving notice in writing to the Secretariat.
- A Member with Full Membership may voluntarily revert to Associate Membership by giving notice in writing to the Secretariat.
- The Executive Council shall have the right to recommend to the General Assembly to instruct a Member to revert to Associate Membership if, in its sole discretion, it considers the circumstances require such action.
- The Executive Council shall have the right to recommend to the General Assembly the expulsion of any Member or Associate Member from the Federation if, in the sole discretion of the Executive Council, it considers the circumstance requires such action.
- The Executive Council shall have the right to expel any Affiliate Member from the Federation if, in the sole discretion of the Executive Council, it considers the circumstances require such action.
10. A. The current membership is attached at Annex A.
- The Federation is a not-for-profit entity.
- An annual subscription fee for 1 January to 31 December shall be levied on all members.
For subscription fee purposes members are categorised as follows:
Hong Kong Jockey Club
Japan Racing Association
Turf Authorities of India
Other members of the ARF Executive Council not in Category A
All other ARF members
Associate members of the ARF
Affiliate Members of the ARF
At the discretion of the Executive Council subscription fees can be given to the Secretariat in money or in the form of an in-kind contribution.
- The subscription fee accounts shall be managed by the Secretariat Office and approved annually by the Executive Council by circulation, and upon approval distributed to all Members.
The following subscription fees currently apply:
Category A US$20,000
Category B US$10,000
Category C US$2,000
Category D US$1,000
- The levels of subscription fees shall be considered annually by the Executive Council and any amendments to the level of subscription fees or their management shall require the approval of the General Assembly either by circulation or at its meeting at each Conference.
- All income from the selling of trade stands at Conferences over and above costs of provision and assembly of these trade stands, to be agreed in advance of the start of their promotion to potential customers, shall be divided equally between the host racing organisation and the subscription fee account.
- The Organising Committee of each Conference will establish separate Conference fees to contribute towards the cost of the Conference in their own country (or special administrative region).
- The amount of such fees shall require the approval of the Executive Council before being levied.
- Conference fees shall be waived for all speakers and chairmen who are not members or employees of racing organisations in member countries (or special administrative regions).
ARTICLE 3 – STRUCTURE OF THE ASIAN RACING FEDERATION
- The General Assembly shall be the final authority of the Federation on any matters concerning:
- Membership (other than Affiliate Membership)
- Subscription fees
And any decisions / resolutions referred to it by the Executive Council.
- The Chief Delegate and Delegation Secretary of each Member, Associate Member and Affiliate Member shall be entitled to attend the General Assembly.
- A quorum shall be established when a minimum of three quarters of the countries with Full Membership are present.
- Each Full Member shall be entitled to one vote in the General Assembly of the Federation.
- Associate Member and Affiliate members shall not be entitled to any vote on any occasion.
- Any matter requiring a decision of the General Assembly shall be passed by not less than three fourths of the votes of the National Racing Authorities with Full Membership present at the General Assembly.
- Alternatively, a matter may, at the request of the Executive Council, be considered by the General Assembly by means of written resolution. Any such resolution shall be passed by not less than three fourths of the votes of all National Racing Authorities with Full Membership of the Federation.
- The General Assembly shall be held immediately before each Conference in order to allow decisions / resolutions to be in effect for that Conference, if applicable.
- The Chairman of the General Assembly shall be the Chairman of the Executive Council.
- The Executive Council shall consist of eight permanent members, representatives of the National Racing Authorities of Australia, Hong Kong SAR, India, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa and the United Arab Emirates, and one invited member, from the country (or special administrative region) designated to host the next Conference.
9.2. (a) From 12th April, 2010 until the General Assembly held in conjunction with the 35th ARC the Executive Council shall consist of 8 permanent members, being representatives of the National Racing Authorities of Australia, Hong Kong SAR, India, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa and the United Arab Emirates, and one invited member being a member from the country (or special administrative region) designated to host the next conference.
9.2. (b) Deleted
- A quorum shall be established when a minimum of three quarters of the permanent members are represented.
- The Executive Council shall elect at its meeting at each Conference a Chairman and two Vice Chairmen from its own number who shall hold office until the conclusion of the next Conference but are eligible for re-election.
- The representative of the National Racing Authority from the country (or special administrative region) designated to host the next Conference and who shall sit on the Executive Council for the period immediately following the conclusion of the previous conference until the conclusion of the conference to be hosted by that country (or special administrative region), shall not be entitled to vote in the election of the Chairman nor the Vice Chairmen except in the event the next Conference host is a permanent Council member, in which case that member shall be entitled to vote.
- Where a person leaves office as Chairman or Vice-Chairman before the expiry of their term then Executive Council may elect from its own number a person to fill that vacancy, which person shall serve out the balance of that term, but who is eligible for re-election.
- The Executive Council shall meet at the start of each Conference immediately before the General Assembly and at least once per year in the intervening periods.
- The Terms of Reference for the Executive Council are set out at Annex B.
- The Secretariat comprising the Secretary-General of the Federation and a small supporting staff shall be provided by a permanent Executive Council member, with the agreement of the Executive Council, and will be funded in a manner to be agreed by the Executive Council.
- The Secretary-General shall be appointed by the member of the Executive Council providing the Secretariat in consultation with the Executive Council.
- The Terms of Reference of the Secretary-General of the Asian Racing Federation are attached at Annex C.
- The member organisation appointed to host the Conference shall appoint an Organising Committee to undertake all the arrangements for the conduct of the Conference and shall appoint a Chairman and a Secretary for that Committee.
- The Organising Committee’s Chairman and Secretary shall hold office for the duration of that specific Conference and will attend the Management Committee Meeting of that Conference.
- The Terms of Reference for the Organising Committee are set out at Annex D.
ARTICLE 4 – DECISIONS AND DISPUTES
- The Federation has no powers to legislate on, and will not seek to be concerned with, the conduct or administration of racing or any aspect of it in any country (or special administrative region).
- The Federation shall not seek to make decisions or resolutions on any matter which might conflict with the internal administration, the laws, practices, customs or individual interests of any member or their country (or special administrative region).
- The Executive Council shall decide which matters shall be resolved by themselves and which shall be referred to the General Assembly, with the exception of matters concerning membership, subscription fees and the Charter for which the General Assembly shall be the final authority.
- When any matter is referred to the General Assembly and/or the Executive Council for decision this will be reached by voting and in order to be carried shall be passed by not less than three-fourths of the votes of the National Racing Authorities which are Full Members present at the General Assembly or Executive Council Meeting (as the case may be).
- A Full Member shall be entitled to one vote only and an Associate Member or Affiliate Member shall not be entitled to any vote in any matter so referred for decision.
- No Full Member, Associate Member or Affiliate member shall be entitled to exercise a veto.
- Any dispute which may arise between Member countries which cannot be resolved by mutual agreement may be referred to the Executive Council for adjudication.
- The Executive Council may refer any such matter to the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities for adjudication provided the parties in dispute are members of that Federation.
- Racing Australia
- Rashid Equestrian and Horse Racing Club
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Turf Authorities of India
- Japan Racing Association
- Korea Racing Authority
- Macau Jockey Club
- Malaysia Turf Clubs
- Mauritius Turf Club
- Federation of Mongolian Horseracing Sports & Trainers
- New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing Inc
- The Royal Horse Racing Club of the Sultanate of Oman
- Jockey Club of Pakistan
- Philippine Racing Authorities
- The Racing and Equestrian Club
- The Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia
- Singapore Turf Club
- The National Horse Racing Authority of Southern Africa
- The Royal Bangkok Sports Club
- Jockey Club of Turkey
- Emirates Racing Association
- Saigon Racing Club
“National Racing Authority” means the official racing authority of a country or special administrative region.
- Definitions: In this Part:
“Appointed Day” means the day on which the ARF General Assembly approves this version of the ARF Charter to come into operation.
“Former ARF Charter” means the versions of the ARF Charter(s) in place prior the Appointed Day.
- Commencement: This ARF Charter comes into operation and effect on and from the beginning of the Appointed Day.
- Preservation of effect, decisions and grants made under the Former ARF Charter: Everything arising, done, resolved and/or decided under the Former ARF Charter is deemed to have arisen, been done, resolved, and/or determined under this ARF Charter and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing:
- a. Appointments: all appointments made under the Former ARF Charter are deemed to have been made, and continue to have effect, under or pursuant to this ARF Charter.
- b. Decisions made under Former ARF Charter: all decisions made, action taken and discretions or powers exercised under or pursuant to the Former ARF Charter are deemed to continue in force and effect upon the same terms and conditions as if properly and validly made or taken under or pursuant to this ARF Charter.
- c. Grants of membership: all memberships of the ARF granted under or pursuant to the Former ARF Charter are deemed to continue in full force and effect upon the same terms and conditions as if properly and validly made under or pursuant to this ARF Charter.